Stressed to Vital - 40 Day Program
by Alexandra Di Cecco
We are creatures of habit, the ancient yogis say it takes 40 days of conscious effort to create a new habit. These simple tips are a way to incorporate new habits into your life. A good way to start your journey of wellbeing and Vitality is to do a gentle Detox.
Detoxing is more than cleansing your body & mind…
it is the first step to completely changing your lifestyle.
Good nutrition, exercise, positive thinking, being passionate about your work or hobby and spending time with good friends are all pieces to the big puzzle of a satisfying life. Gradual change is much more sustaining than drastic changes, by slowly adding small changes to your routine you can truly uplift the quality of your life!
There are 4 parts to this program – one for every 10 days of your 40 days. Each part contains tips on Diet, Body care and Mind & spirit. If something doesn’t feel right just move on to the next tip and come back to it when you are ready.
Keeping up... is the secret!.
Once you add a lifestyle change to your daily routine, stick with it for at least 40 days.. and voila! You will be in your way to an improved life.
|WEEK 1: DIET
WATER, WATER, WATER!
Our bodies are approx 70% water!
Water reduces your kilojoule intake, it helps your metabolism – helps break down stored fats, helps digestive function and food absorption.
Remember to drink at least a l.5 litres of water a day.
NOTE TO SELF: Cut carbonated drinks out of your diet and choose water and fresh vegetable juices.
HOT TIP: If you like fruit juices limit your intake to a small glass a day as they are very high in sugar. Go for vegetable juices without adding fruit.
A great & simple recipe is:
2 Celery Sticks
1 small Beetroot
and a small piece of ginger
Cleanse your body of toxins; choose herbal or green tea over black tea and decaf instead of normal coffee.
ABOUT GREEN TEA::
Green tea reduces high blood pressure & lowers cholesterol. There are four primary polyphenols in green tea: these are powerful antioxidants that have been shown to fight viruses, to slow aging and to have a general beneficial effect on health.
DID YOU KNOW??
There is an art to making a great cup of green tea, boil your water and then wait a few minutes before pouring. Then make sure you leave the tea in only for 3-5 min as the longer you leave it the more bitter the taste will be.
Experiment to get the right taste for you.
Drink a cup of warm water with the juice of half a lemon and wait at least 15min before having breakfast. Lemon has amazing healing properties that will cleanse your body & will enhance your digestive system function.
This is the week where major changes must start. Take a gradual approach. If you drink limit your intake to 1 glass of red wine a day. If you are a smoker look for a quit plan now!
|WEEK 1: BODY
BODY AWARENESS - BREATH AWARENESS
• As soon as you wake up, stretch your entire body, raise your arms over your head and point your toes.
Become aware of your breath.. let yourself notice your breath before opening your eyes.
Feel your body and allow it to awaken without rushing
• Rub your hands together and bring them to your face, open your eyes slowly.
• Welcome the day with its infinite possibilities.
THIS WEEK IS ALL ABOUT BASICS.. LEARN ALL ABOUT MINDFULNESS AND LEARN HOW TO BREATHE HERE
DURING THE DAY
• Make an effort to be in the now
• Remember to breath deeply and slowly, especially in times of stress.
• Go outside as often as possible, and allow fresh air to circulate into your office and house.
DID YOU KNOW?? We tend to hold our breaths when stressed.
In times of stress, mentally count to 5 on the inhale and 5 on the exhale with a 2 second pause in between.
• Eat dinner at least 2hrs before going to bed
Go to bed 30-60min before you want to be sleep
• Massage your feet with Sweet Almond oil or a plant based cream.
• Read an uplifting book in bed, something positive and relaxing - no news, tv or anything stressful in bed -
• As soon as you feel sleepy, turn the lights off and start focusing on your breath until you fall sleep.
SELF MASSAGE FOR BEAUTY & REJUVENATION:
Massage is essential to renew the skin cells and encourage circulation. If you have time in the morning or evening, indulge in an invigoration face & body massage…
BODY: Massage your body every day before a tepid (not hot) shower with Sweet Almond Oil, do it in the morning or before going to sleep.
This will nourish your skin and make it radiant while also calming your nervous system.
FACE: Massage your face in upward circular motions gentle but firm to estimulate circulation without damaging the skin.
Avoid the eye contour, and only tap this area gently instead of massaging.
Here is a few extra massage tips:
1. Using your fingertips, gently tap your face along the jaw, cheekbones, forehead & top of the nose. This stimulates circulation to the face and head
2. Using your index fingertip, press into the point directly under the centre of your nose, above your upper lip. Press and release this point 10 times. This helps draw energy to your head.
3. With your thumb and finger, gently pinch and massage your earlobes and the outer rims of your ears for 1 minute. This technique helps stimulate the brain, head and spine. You can use it to relieve pain in these areas and prevent headaches.
4. Everyone loves a scalp massage. Simply use your fingertips to knead your scalp.This relieves tension and improves circulation to the many muscles that cover your scalp area.
ABOUT SWEET ALMOND OIL
Almond oil is rich in vitamin A, B and E, which are great for skin health.
Benefits of Almond Oil:
Improve the complexion and retaining glow.
Moisturize better and deeper.
Soothe skin irritation and skin inflammation
Relieve dry skin & eczema.
Nourish skin, making it softer and smoother
Cures chapped lips and body rashes.
Safe & effective for all ages
|WEEK 1: MIND & SPIRIT
Start a 40 day journal:
Write your intention of change.
Setting an intention is essential for any change of habit, just like entering an address in your GPS, it sets the mood for change to happen.
Write down how you feel about your commitment, whether you want to start exercise, eat healthier, stop drinking or smoking…Review the way you feel and write without judgement.
For some people change is hard to deal with; but if the change is for the better it means better quality and quantity of life, so focus on what change can do for you.
Now remember, do your best to write daily! Long or short it doesn’t matter just start and write every morning or evening.
You will be amazed how therapeutic this exercise is for your mind.
|Here are a few tips:
- Start with the date and time
- Write the first thing that comes to mind.
- Don't hold back, just write down what is in your mind, no need to make sense or be preocupied with making sense.
- Use all five senses to describe events and feelings
- Don't judge what you are writing
- Add Pictures or drawings , poems or clippings, anything that inspires you!
- If you don't want people to read it, keep it in a secure place.
Join our mailing list & receive our newsletters,
wellbeing tips and more!
Next week Part 2: Tips on detoxing your cupboard, starting a daily exercise routine and more!